RFFA Main

The Maurice Wiseman Project Main
The Fire Stations of Roanoke City Virginia

Fire Station #1
1988-1907

Fire Station #1 was built to house the Vigilant Fire Company #1. The station was built in 1888 and closed when the new Fire Station #1 was built. The station was locate at the NE corner of Jefferson St. and Kirk Ave. The building remained standing and used as various purposes until being razed in 1977. The bell in the tower was removed and placed in the new Fire Station #1. The bell is was removed from the current Fire Station #1 and is housed on a trailer and used in events.

Fire Station #1
February 7, 1907-Present

Fire Station #1 is located at 13 Church Ave. SW in downtown Roanoke. The Fire Station was opened in February 1907 and continues to operate today. The Volunteer Companies were consolidated in March 1907 when the Roanoke Fire Department was born and all the Firefighters were paid/full time employees. You can still see where the horses chewed on the brick walls inside the station. Fire Station #1 is one of the oldest operating full paid Fire Stations in the U.S and is the oldest Fire Station in continuous use in Virginia. and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Fire Station #1 remains to be a major tourist attraction in Roanoke City. The Fire Station was opened with Engine Company #1 - nine men, and Hook and Ladder Company #1 - nine men. The Station now houses Ladder 1, Battalion Chief 1, and Rescue Supervisor 1.

Fire Station #1

This is the design for the new Fire Station #1/ Fire Administration Headquarters. The station is being built at the NE corner of Franklin Rd. and Elm Ave. SW. The station is supposed to open in 2006-2007.

 

Fire Station #2
March 2, 1888

Fire Station #2 was located at Rorrer Hall at Campbell Ave. and 3rd St. SW. The Fire Station housed the Junior Fire Company #2. The Juniors later were housed in Fire Station #1 with the Vigilants.

 

Fire Station #2
1907-1950's

When this Fire Station was built it housed the Friendship Fire Company #3 which was a Volunteer Company.The Fire Station was renumbered when the Fire Companies were consolidated into the Roanoke Fire Department. The Fire Station housed Engine Company #2 - eight men. As you can see the top facade of the station was removed, although it is unknown when. It is said that the building was used as a storage building for the Fire Department after it was take out of service as a Fire Station.

Fire Station #2
Originally Fire Station #10
1950-Present

Fire Station #2 is located at 55 Noble Ave. NE. This Fire Station was originally numbered as Fire Station #10. The station was later renumbered as #2 when Fire Station #10 was opened at the Airport in 1974.

Fire Station #3
1892-1907

The Friendship Fire Company #3 was located at the NW corner of Fourth St. and East Ave. Near the Main Post Office now. The Volunteer Fire Company was housed in this Station until the Roanoke Fire Department was formed and all of the Volunteer Fire Companies disbanded. The Station was then used as Fire Station #2 and the top facade was removed.

Fire Station #3
April 12, 1909-Present

Fire Station #3 is located at 301 Sixth St. SW. When the Station opened in 1909 it housed Engine Company #3 - eight men. The Station now houses Engine 3 and Medic 3. This Station is slated to close when the new Fire Station #1 is opened. The top facade on the Station fell off one day in the late 40's and the hose tower was removed.

Fire Station #4
November 7, 1892-
February 28, 1903

This Fire Station was located at 1219 Wise Ave. across from the Virginia Brewery and housed the Alert Fire Company #4. The picture shown is the only known picture that exists of this Fire Station.

Fire Station #4
September 5, 1911-January 1, 1965

Fire Station #4 was located at 323 Highland Ave. SW.The Station housed Hose Company #4 - five men. The station was closed down in the 60's and the new Fire Station #4 was opened several years later.

Fire Station #4
1976-2000

Fire Station #4 was located across the street from the current Fire Station #4. The station was a simple metal building and housed Engine #4.

 

Fire Station #4
2000-Present

Fire Station #4 is locate at 3764 Peters Creek Road and is the newest Fire Station in the City. It houses Engine 4 and Ladder 4.

 

Fire Station #5
September 5, 1911-Present

Fire Station #5 is located at 216 Twelfth Street NW. When the Station opened it housed Hose Company #5 - four men. This Station still houses Engine 5.

Fire Station #6
September 5, 1911-January 2, 1979

Fire Station #6 is located at 1015 Jamison Ave. SE. The Station housed Hose Company #6 - four men. The Station is still standing today and is used as a community hall and a Police Substation. The Station is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Fire Station #6
January 2, 1979-Present

Fire Station #6 is located at 1333 Jamison Ave. The Fire Station Houses Engine 6, Medic 6, HTR 6, Service Truck 1, Brush Truck 1, and the Swift Water Rescue Trucks.

 

Fire Station #7
December 13, 1922-Present

Fire Station #7 is located at 1742 Memorial Ave. The bay for the ladder truck was added in 1950. The station now houses Engine 7 and Ladder 7.

Fire Station #8
January 23, 1929-Present

The South Roanoke Fire Station is located at 2328 Crystal Springs Ave. The Station houses Engine Company #8 still to this day.

Fire Station #9
October 2, 1929-Present

Fire Station #9 is located at 514 24th St. NW. The Station once housed Engine 9 and Ladder 9. Now the Station houses Engine 9 and Medic 9.

Fire Station #10
?-?

Fire Station #10 was located at Fugate and Williamson. The station was originally a County Fire Station before the area was annexed. The Station was in service with City personnel prior to the new Fire Station #10 being opened at 55 Noble Avenue which later became Fire Station #2. There are not many pictures of this station known to be in existence.

 

Fire Station #10
March 14, 1974-Present

The History of Fire Station #10

Fire Station #10 is located at 5202 Airport Rd. The Station has two purposes, Engine 10 and Medic 10 services a first due area in the City out of the front of the station. The Airport Rescue Fire Fighting Company (ARFF) services Roanoke Regional Airport out of the back of the station with AR-2, AR-3, and Battalion 4.

 

Fire Station #11
March 14, 1964-Present

Fire Station #11 is located at 1502 Riverland Rd. in SE Roanoke. The station houses Engine 11. (Article)

Fire Station #12
August 1976-1999

Fire Station #12 was opened to service the newly annexed area in NW Roanoke, which had previously been in the City of Salem.

 
 

Fire Station #13
May 19, 1967-19??

The original Fire Station #13 was located behind the current Fire Station in the strip office complex on Appleton Rd..

 

Fire Station #13
19??-Present

Fire Station #13 is located at 4330 Appleton Rd. in NW and faces Peters Creek Rd. Fire Station #13 houses Engine 13, Ladder 13, and Investigator 1.

 

Fire Station #14
November 16, 1978-Present

Fire Station #14 is located at 1061 Mecca St. and was opened to service the NE quadrant of the City, which prior to this time had not had a Fire Station. The station houses Engine 14.